Sunday, February 14, 2010

On this day in which I don't celebrate...

Ah, yes. Today is the day that some celebrate, specifically people with stock in greeting card companies. You know things are off to a great start when your parents get you a Twilight themed card. Let me rephrase that, things are off to a very single start. I might indulge in purchasing discount flowers tomorrow though. I spent the day with my favorite single girl, Sally. We browsed the dating website, we discussed our dating website strange conversations, and overall had a great time. There was chocolate involved, and Starbucks. The fundraiser is coming up this week. There is a small part of me that hopes some single attractive guy will be there because I have quite the dress to wear. It’s always nice to dress up when you feel like someone is looking.

Cynical journalist has faded into the background. This may be the last time I mention him. I did send him one more message, but still have not heard a thing back. He still looks at my dating profile. I don’t get it, and I cannot explain it. I put a new addition to my profile explaining – “Please do not be intimidated by the fact that I'm ambitious, or that I'm a "good girl". Most likely, I'd really like to talk to you. If you send me a couple of messages, and we seem to be getting along - ask me out already (if you live in the vicinity). I'm on this site for a reason.” Yeah, that was pretty much aimed at cynical journalist. You think he’ll read it? I’m sure he won’t ask me to go out for coffee.

This has lead to a whole different realm of problems. Lots, and I mean lots, of people are starting to send me messages. Now I feel obligated to respond because I stated I was nice. The last thing I need is another 1 star rating from someone who felt irritated by my lack of response. Two people in one night stated they wanted to meet me. One was a 32 year old from Chicago – Chicago guy. He knows about the blog – hi there! See, I didn’t use your screen name. The other is someone that messaged me before. This is Radio Shack guy. He claims he is in college, and he is not. He claims he likes theatre, and he can’t name a show. I don’t know why these people just lie through these conversations and in their profiles. I am a lie detector master. I’m also resourceful, and with that even Sally is impressed. I figured out that this law guy that I’ve been talking to here or there went to college with her. Yeah, I’m that good. Radio Shack guy wants to meet me for coffee. Maybe it is good experience. This will never go anywhere. He just sent me a message as I type this saying he forgot my first name. I’m shaking my head while saying “oy vey”.

I think the type of guy I’m attracted to and the type of people who are attracted to me are not the same. The people whose profiles I become fascinated with tend to look like hipsters, or just plain hippies for that matter. They usually have a picture holding some kind of musical instrument. They have a laundry list of interesting books they have read. They all listen to the same indie rock bands, especially Radiohead. Their profile is littered with ironic and sarcastic statements. They appreciate philosophy, would probably attend a protest, and ride their bikes proudly while wearing a scarf around their neck even when it's warm outside. They most likely attended some liberal arts school, but darn it all, they will throw their (insert random social science degree – anthro, psych, sociology, gender studies, etc.) to the wayside to instead play guitar on some street corner. They probably have sustainable gardens in their backyard. I don’t even know what it is about these kinds of people I like so much.

The types of guys I get messages from are highly knowledgeable in computer sciences. Many play Worlds of Warcraft or various computer games. There’s a lot of LOTR fans out there. I get contacted by the woodsy outdoorsmen types who hunt each fall and were members of the Future Farmers of America in high school. I get contacted by people who only have a high school diploma, and work at stores in the mall. I get contacted by people who like cats. I hate cats! A lot of the people are atheists too. I would never date an atheist. It’s not that any of these are horrible interests, or that some girl wouldn’t absolutely love to have a guy like the above described. I’ve attempted conversations to try and keep an open mind, but these people have nothing in common with me. It makes me wonder what draws that group to my profile, and at the same time acts as a repellent to the type of guys I do like. Cynical journalist probably wouldn’t have completely fit into the “guys I like type” category. Uh, this is terrible.

Funny non-website dating side note that I'd like to add. I frequent a specific Starbucks as I find a certain barista to be completely attractive. He never ever talks to me, and he has worked there since September. He talked to me yesterday. He asked where my mom was, and to be sure I told her that he said hello. Why me?

-SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment