Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Picture is Worth Lots of Words

I have stumbled upon an interesting new development. Pictures in an on-line dating profile can really make a difference. Ok, I did know that. I didn't, however, know that my on-line dating array of pictures was in all kinds of wrong land. I had nothing to do tonight. I’ve been sick for the last few days which explains my lack of Friday night plans (which is when I started writing this – hello procrastination). I went on one of the dating websites and decided to change things up a bit. I looked through my main profile, and I still have not found anything I need to or could really change. It’s the best possible summary of myself.

In my complete boredom, I changed all of my pictures. This happened after I rearranged my DVD collection by categories that make sense to me (Heath Ledger collection, sappy movies, movies about princesses, rom-coms that provide an unrealistic view on love and will traumatize you forever, Audrey Hepburn movies, etc). One of the pictures I put up is from my recent small birthday party. It’s a very current picture. I also have more pictures from when my hair is long versus short. My hair is kind of in-between right now. I cut a lot off last summer, so now I’m almost back to the length it is in the picture. Do men like longer hair better than shorter hair? By short I mean like chin-length. Also, one of my main pictures is of me singing. I think the music thing is a definite draw.

With these recent updates in mind I had twenty new people look at my page, and had five people send me messages in ten minutes. That's record timing. Anything promising? Unfortunately, no. I really must have needed to change pictures. I took my headshot down. Hey, I am an actress. I think the new pictures make me seem more approachable now.

As of last night I started talking to a 21 year old college student who is majoring in film. We were talking a lot about screenplay writing, and how you can get really great material from your dreams. It was an assignment in one of his classes. A lot of my great ideas happen at night right before I go to sleep, or while I’m getting ready in the morning. It is terrible because there’s never a pen and paper around at either time. Well, I did some investigating and found his MySpace. Blog after blog about how girls are trashy. “I went out with this skank in April and then I went out with this one whore in June.” Month after month of derogatory name calling of women. This blog extended back for 4 years, but he hadn’t posted in the last 8 months or so. I know he’s a youngin’, but I’m inclined to believe that a mindset like that doesn’t change so quickly.

Sally actually ditched the on-line dating. We need to find new ways of meeting people. I’m going to start searching for singles mixers, book clubs, etc. Something! She had two boyfriend situations since December which could fall into the "don't let this happen to you" category. I have a hunch on where Sally and I have things so very wrong. Sally and I have certain guys that have entered our lives at some point where nothing ever progressed into dating, or really anything beyond friends. In our search (I initially put “hunt” but that seemed so animalistic) for a guy, we have tried to find someone that matched up to that “never-more-than-friends-guy” as much as humanly possible. It just doesn’t cut it though. I wonder what it is about these certain guys that set the standard for us. I remember watching a news segment on how our brains already have a checklist, and that when we meet someone new our brains evaluate if they fit our programmed criteria. I wonder if I ever set the standard for someone else. I think it would be difficult to find a replica me. If anyone is out there trying to find a replica me, um, the real me is available. Just saying.

-SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment