Thursday, April 8, 2010

Swahili Speaking Medical Students Are So Common These Days.

Wow. I’ve found someone I actually really like on this internet dating mishegoss (that’s yiddish). I feel so silly even writing about this in general. I have a perma-smile on my face right now. It’s that good. So it all started when I saw an uploaded picture of this guy. Very cute. Definitely my type – brown hair and blue eyes. His profile hadn’t even been started yet. All I had was that he is 6’3 and lives in Chicago. He also had pictures from Africa. His smile just radiated off of the computer screen. I could tell that this was a good person.

I sent him the strangest message in the history of on-line dating. It went along the lines of how I liked his smile, and he looked like a nice person. I am not about sending messages to people with just pictures because it seems like you are only going by looks alone. How was I to know if he would even be anything of interest once I read an established profile. Then his profile was updated, and lo and behold, there is so much promise there. He likes to ride a bicycle and listens to Radiohead – two things that were on my “I like these kind of guys” paragraph a few posts back. He likes green and I like teal. They’re both in the same color family. Guess what… he’s in medical school!

I waited all day and heard nothing back. I should know not to be any kind of impatient. I mean really, I probably could’ve given him two weeks to respond to me. Medical school is crazy from what I hear. I sent him another insane message today. This time it comes in IM form. I sent a message apologizing for the all kinds of bizarre that was the e-mail I sent, and how I didn’t want to keep sending e-mails so I figured IM would be ok. It went straight to e-mail! It was like when you are in the middle of leaving a voice mail and the machine cuts you off before you can leave your number. Your only option is to call again explaining that the machine cut you off, and then by the time you finish explaining the machine cuts you off again. Ok, so I send ANOTHER message. I said how for what it was worth I wanted to tell him how much I liked Radiohead, and that I can usually diagnose at least one out of two patients weekly on Mystery Diagnosis before they come up with the diagnosis.

This is the point where he sends me back a message, thoroughly amused that a girl has gone to these lengths to get his attention. We had a fabulous conversation. He went to Africa to observe hospitals and do some volunteering with the HIV prevention efforts. I said that I’ve only been to Mexico which he really liked because he’s trying to learn Spanish. He was completely fascinated by me being a writer, and wanted to know the process of everything. We talked about a few more things, and then he said he had to go study. We ended the conversation in Spanish which was so cute. I was on the website for a bit longer. Apparently he re-signed in, and then he messaged me again. He wanted to let me know he was on-line again, and wanted to contact me while he quick changed his password. This is just too good. We’ll see…

Also lovelies... feel free to write a comment. It can be anonymous, and you do not need a special account to write a little something. I'd love advice and input. Please do not go out of your way to write anything hurtful. I do have feelings.

-SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment